Our Top 10 Home Maintenance Tips for September
Monday, September 18, 2023
Our Top 10 Home Maintenance Tips for September:
Inspect and Clean Gutters and Downspouts:
- Get the ladder out and remove any leaves, twigs, and debris from gutters and downspouts to prevent clogs and water damage during fall rains.
Check the Roof:
- If you are planning to examine your roof from ground level, make sure you can see it from all sides. We suggest teaming up with your neighbours to check out each other's roofs from time to time, especially after a heavy rain or storm. Examine your roof for damaged or missing shingles and have them repaired to prevent leaks.
Service Your Heating System:
- Schedule a professional HVAC inspection and maintenance to ensure your heating system is ready for the colder months ahead. You don't want to find out it doesn't work once it is already cold.
Seal Gaps and Cracks:
- Check for drafts around windows and doors and seal them with weatherstripping or caulking to improve energy efficiency. Remember to remove the old weatherstripping and caulking first.
Test Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors:
- Ensure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are functioning properly, and replace batteries if needed. For peace of mind, just add new batteries and you can use the old ones in your tv remote or other battery operated device.
Clean and Store Outdoor Furniture:
- Clean and store outdoor furniture to protect it from harsh weather conditions and extend its lifespan. Adding a pest deterrent to your storage space will save your outdoor pillows and cushions from being eaten by rodents.
Fertilize Your Lawn:
- Apply a fall-specific fertilizer to promote healthy grass growth and prepare your lawn for the winter months. Please remember to sweep it off your sidewalk and driveway as it can cause burns on the pads of dogs and other animals. Fertilizer can also cause other issues with animals if they happen to ingest it.
Inspect and Clean Chimney and Fireplace:
- If you have a fireplace, have it professionally cleaned and inspected to ensure safe operation during the upcoming heating season. You may also want to clean it often to help prevent spiders from nesting in your warm cozy gas fireplace. If you have a wood burning fireplace, be sure to inspect your wood for unwanted hitchhikers.
Clean Dryer Vents:
- Remove lint and debris from your dryer vents to prevent fire hazards and maintain efficient drying. Make sure that you have proper fitting vent covers on the outside of your home to prevent birds and other animals from nesting in the vent.
Prepare for Fall Landscaping:
- Plan and plant fall flowers, bulbs, or trees, and remove dead or dying summer plants to keep your garden looking its best. Note: If you want your Fall Mums to come back next year be sure to plant them in your garden. If you want your mums to last for the season, be sure to soak them in a bucket of water for at least an hour and every time they start to dry out. (they drink from their roots)
By following these September home maintenance tips, you can ensure that your home is in good condition for the upcoming fall and winter seasons, helping you avoid costly repairs and improve energy efficiency. And best part, you won't be cold while doing them.